“Homeopathy is essentially not only many- sided but all
sided” says Dr. Constantine herring in a quotation from
Boericke’s Materia Medica and William Boericke states that
“ The fact is we need any and every way of finding the right
remedy ; the simple simile, the simple symptomatic similimum,
and the farthest reach of all – the pathologic similimum
, and I maintain that we are still within the lines of Homeopathy
that is expansive, progressive , science fostered and science
Some common Menstrual Ailments
• Menorrhagia (hypermenorrhea): prolonged
(>7 days) and/or excessive (>80cc) uterine bleeding occurring
at REGULAR intervals.
• Metorrhagia: uterine bleeding occurring at completely
irregular but frequent intervals, the amount being variable.
• Menometorrhagia: uterine bleeding that is prolonged AND
occurs at completely irregular intervals.
• Polymenorrhea: uterine bleeding at regular intervals of
less than 21 days.
• Intermenstrual bleeding: bleeding of variable amounts
occurring between regular menstrual periods.
• Oligomenorrhea: uterine bleeding at regular intervals
from 35 days to 6 months.
• Amenorrhea: absence of uterine bleeding for > 6 months.
• Postmenopausal bleeding: uterine bleeding that occurs
more than 1 year after the last menses in a woman with ovarian
• Vicarious menstruation: Rare condition in which extra
genital haemorrhage occurs at regular intervals corresponding
to menstrual periods.
How to Evaluate Abnormal Menstrual Bleeding?
Most important are onset , frequency, duration,
severity , pain, change from menstrual pattern (calendar), Age,
parity, marital status, sexual health, contraception, medications,
dates of pregnancies with symptoms of pregnancy and reproductive
As Homeopathy goes deeper into individualization,
Emphasis in history is given on the type of menstrual discharge
in terms of colour, odour, consistency, time of flow and conditions
of aggravation and amelioration of the flow. Associated symptoms
(concomitants) before / during and after, concomitants in general.
Overall status of the mind. Circumstances under which the complaints
Physical Examination and pelvic examination also necessary
Many patients may need an Ultrasonogram and elderly people Pap
smear. Choices are extensive and not practical or cost effective
to do every test. Thus selection should be tailored to suspected
causes from the history and physical examination.
In reality two basics are very helpful
1. The Concomitants, which gives way to the constitution / miasmatic
SOME RUBRICS WHICH SHOW THE ARRAY OF INDIVIDUALIZATION.
• Menses : Afternoon : Ceases in : Mag Carb
• : Bright – red : Mingled with dark clots : Bell
, Lyco , Sabina, Sec
• : Exertion brings on the flow : Bov, Calc, Rhus, Tril
• : Offensive : Acrid : Bell , Carbo - v
• Metrorrhagia, Polypus from : Bell , Calc , Con , Lyco,
• hot bleed : Arnica , Bell, Bry, Lac- can , Puls ,
• Iron ,after abuse of : Puls
• Walking amel:sabin
• Vexation after: Ip, kali-c.
Convulsions,with: Bell. Chin, hyos. Sec.
• Menorrhagia: Every alternate period, profuse: Thalaspi.
• Complaints, preceding and attending flow
• Breasts, tender, swollen: Bry; Calc c; Con; Graph; Helon;
Kali c; Lac c;
• Mag c; Merc; Murex; Phyto; Puls; Sang.
• Aphonia : Gels, Graph
• Mouth sore, swelling of gums, cheeks;bleeding ulcer: Phos
• Stomach disturbances: Arg n; Ars; Bry; Kali c; Lach; Lyco;
Nux m; Nux v;
• Puls; Sep; Sulph
• Weakness : Alum; Am c; Carb an; Cinch; Cocc; Ferr m; Glycerin;
• helon; Ign;Iod; Puls; Ver a
Miss T.N – 16 years - 25/7/08 A Girl aged
sixteen years consulted me for dysmenorrhoea with profuse bleeding.
She attained her menarche at the age of 12 years; she had regular
with normal flow up to one year. Now developed pain the lower
abdomen with nausea and vomiting. Heavy bleeding < Exertion.
She also had dyspeptic symptoms flatulence and bloating. She had
acne vulgaris on the face. Suffered from headaches with blurring
vision. Her MRI suggested a cyst in the adenexal regions on both
sides I prescribed Lyssin 1M as a pathological prescription and
Apis 200 and Pulsatilla were prescribed as follow up medicines
finally the ultrasonogram revealed normal study.
A 40 years old lady had Dysfunctional Uterine bleeding
since 9 years. Her periods skins a month and spots inbetween the
periods. She had abdominal cramps, Headache and low backache.
She had acne in the face, chest and back. She was obese and unwanted
hair growth also reported. Sepia was prescribed based on her totality
and periods are regained to normal flow.
A young girl aged 10 years had severe bleeding, she has to change
her napkins every two houses. She feels difficult to change every
2 hours. The patient is highly irritable ++. Sensitive++ takes
any smallest joke personally and gets offended. Goes away to room,
sulk, must be cajoled & comforted by mother & then only
comes out of room. Keeps fighting with younger brother & tells
mother “why on earth do I have to deal with this creature,
you deal with him”. Usually very easy going, but since 4-5
months become sensitive. My prescription was based on her mentals
and Nux vomica 1M corrected her.
A sixteen years old girl skipped her periods for three months
and her Ultrasongram revealed Poly Cystic ovarian Disease. She
also had breast heaviness before menses . Menses in general scanty,
but lasts 5 days. Vertigo < standing for long. Her mind is
anxious if friendships not reciprocated fast, hurry and get the
things must finish off. Cry, when wrongly reprimanded. She was
treated with Calcaria carb 200 based on her constitution and mentals.
She regained her periods and heaviness of breast stopped
SOME GENERAL EXPERIENCES
Prolonged menses running into next cycle – Sec Cor / Lil
Prolonged menses running into next cycle with irritability ++
- Nux Vomica
Profuse bleeding – bright - Millifolium 30 / ipecac 30
Profuse bleeding – dark - Hamamellis followed by Lil Tig
Pain associated with gushing flow and clots – Sabina followed
PCOD with scanty flow - Con / Sepia
PCOD with Profuse flow - CC
Midcycle bleeding – Apis
Interrupted menses – Apis / puls
Each prescription is individualistic and patients receive the
prescription on pathological, keynote, constitutional and miasmatic
on the discretion of the physician, Homoeopathy could rescue very
all mental disorders in a harmonious, gentle way of prescription.