Berberis is an excellent remedy when the stone is in the pelvis
of kidney or in ureter. Burning, sore sensation in kidneys.
Renal colic of left side. Most characteristic in Berberis is
pain only in hips and loins.
Calcarea carbonica: Gravel & stone in the bladder. Renal
colic with irritable bladder. Pressing pain in the kidney, loins,
aching pain in the kidney & lumbar region. White urinary
sediment & milky urine. Dark, brown, sour, fetid, abundant
urine is characteristic, sour smelling urine at night.
Cantharis vesicatoria: Cantharis is a valuable remedy in the
passage of renal calculi. Kidney region is sensitive, colic;
cutting, contractive pains from ureters down to penis.Pains
cutting, smarting or burning, biting or as if raw, causing mental
excitement. Constant and intolerable urging to urinate before,
during and after urination.
Hedeoma: Pain along left ureter. Frequent urging, cutting pains.
Dragging pain from kidney to bladder. Dull burning pain over
left kidney. Burning irritation at neck of bladder causing frequent
intense desire to urinate and inability to retain urine for
more than a few minutes ameliorated by urinating. Red sand in
has a traditional reputation as a “stone breaking”.
A remedy for gravel. It acts on ureter, renal colic with bloody
urine. Pain in lumbar region. Heavy deposit of mucus. Hansen
adds that it is particularly useful for profuse deposit of white
amorphous salts in urine. Relieves distress from kidney stones
with soreness over region of kidney and bloody urine.
Lycopodium clavatum: Kidney colic from right ureter to right
bladder. Pain in back before micturating; ceases after flow;
slow in coming, must strain. Retention of urine. Greasy pellicle
in urine .Red sand in the urine.
Lithium carbonicum: Uric acid diathesis. Pain in region of bladder
& of right kidney. Turbid urine, scanty & mucus red
deposits. While urinating pressure in the region of heart. Pain
in the region of bladder extends to spermatic cord, after urination.
Excellent drug in gravel & cystic calculus, left side renal
calculi. Profuse uric acid sediment & blood in the urine.
Most important keynote symptom of this remedy is pain compelling,
patient to go down on the hands & knees. Renal colic, prostatic
affections and catarrh of bladder difficulty in passing.Pareira
barava is the picture of agony of genitourinary obstruction
with infection –Dr. Robert Redfierd.
Ocimum: Clarke said: “Used in Brazil as a specific for
diseases of kidney, bladder and urethra”. Renal colic
with violent vomiting every fifteen minutes. Renal colic with
considerable haemorrhage.Urine has brick dust sediment. Urine
“Saffron colour or thick purulent with intolerable smell
of musk”. Concomitant: vomiting, cries, tossing about
and wringing hands.
colic & grinding, griping & cutting pain in abdomen.
Cutting pain along ureters. Painful constriction at neck of
bladder. Urine scanty, dribbling; dark or calcareous, adherent
Senecio aureus: Small, who proved Senecio, remarks that very
useful in dysuria of women & children evidentially of catarrhal
origin. Renal colic heat in neck of bladder & constant urging
Solidago virga: Rademacher says it is very old & good kidney
medicine. It has specific action on kidney & brings the
patient back to the normal condition. Kidney, sore & tender
over the area, feels distended. Pain in the kidney extends forwards
to abdomen, bladder down the thighs. Especially at night with
very scanty brown, sour urine, dark & scanty or clear stinking
voided with difficulty albuminous, mucus & phosphatic urine.
Golden Tips of Stalwarts: Renal Calculus Treatment
1. Dr. Jahr says that Puls. Cann-I., Sarasp. Lyco. Had done
wonders in his hands alleviating renal colic and facilitating
the passage of stone along urethra.
2. Dr. Jousset says that Bell & Cham are given alternation
when the renal colic pain is violent.
3. Dr. Jacob says that Ipomea-nit, for passage of stone from
kidney to bladder when there is severe pain in either renal
region extending down the ureter on the corresponding side.
The distinctive features are that these pains excite nausea.
4. Dr. Hempel records many cases of renal colic cured by Coccus-cacti,
extend to bladder accompanied by frequent emission of dark,
5. Dr. Farrington says that Cantharis relieves local irritation
permitting nature to get rid of stone with less suffering to
6. Dr. Preston used Arg nit, when there is dull aching across
the small of the back, also over the region of bladder. The
urine burns while passing.
7. Dr. Clarke says that Ocimum can. Severe shooting pain in
right flank extend to back, frequent micturition, urine deposits
8. Dr. Blackwood says Calcarea renalis, when used freely prevent
to formation of calculi.
9. Dr. Peyerson told Chionanthus prevents renal stones.
10. Dr. Hering says about Terebinth prevents calculi.
11. Dr. Boericke says Natrum phos. 1X, 4 times a day prevent
calculi if oxaluria is there.
12. Dr. Hering says inflammation of kidney & ureter after
the passage of gravel Senecio aur. very useful.
13. Robin Murphy recommended kidney stone after surgery, Calendula
14. For uric acid diathesis Lycopodium & Fabiana imbaricata
suggested by Dr.Blackwood, Lithium carb by Dr.Phatak.
15. For uremia & increased creatinine level, Lycopodium
& Phosphorus suggested by Dr.Kent.
16. Dr.Farrington suggested drug for stone in kidney of children
17. Stone in ureter Pareira brava by Dr. C.B. Kneer, Lycopodium
by Dr.Pulk & Cantharis by Dr.Farrington.
18. Stone in bladder suggested Hydrangea by Dr.Clarke, Pulsatilla
& Sarsaparilla by Dr.Roberts.
19. Dr. C.M Boger suggests 2 drops of tincture of Polygonum
sagittatum in water night & morning helps renal calculi
20. Dr.Zandvoort suggests the drug for kidney surgical is Methylene
· Allen H.C “ Key notes Rearranged & Classified
with Leading Remedies of the Materia medica & Bowel nosodes”;Ninth
edition B.Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
· Bhanja K.C “The Homoeopathic Prescriber”
National Homoeo Laboratory, 6 th edition, 2002 Calcutta.
· Boericke William New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia
medica with Repertory, Reprint edition 2007, B Jain Publishers,
· Clarke J.H. A Dictionary of Practical Materia medica
Vol-II, Student edition 2005, B Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
· Lilienthal Samuel, “Homoeopathic Therapeutics”
Reprint edition 2004, B Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
· Murphy Robin “Lotus Materia medica” 2nd
revised edition Reprint edition 2006, B Jain Publishers.
· Schroyen Friedrich “1001 small remedies”
London Homoeopathic Book Publishers, 1995 and Archibel S.A.
· Singhal. J.N “A Home guide quick Bed-side Prescriber
with notes on clinical relationship of remedies and Homoeopathy
in Surgery”; reprint edition B Jain Publishers, New Delhi.
· Vermulen Frans, “Concordance Materia medica,”
print 2001, published by Indian Book Periodical Publishers,
· Hompath Classic Software.